You are perhaps aware that Ramakrishna Movement was initiated by Swami Vivekananda in deference to the wishes of His Great Master Sri Ramakrishna Deva.
After the mahasamadhi of Lord Sri Ramakrishna in 1886, the legendary Baranagar Math, first monastery of the Ramakrishna Order came into being at a dilapidated house at the initiative of Swami Vivekananda. He along with his brother monks, disciples of Sri Ramakrishna, vowed to dedicate their lives for the service of poor and downtrodden humanity. However, to-day’s Ramakrishna Math, Baranagar, a transformed entity of the erstwhile Baranagar Math, which is presently functioning as a branch centre of Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math, has launched a Community Development Programme for the uplift of the poor and marginalized section of people, mostly slum-dwellers residing around the Math.
The following welfare activities are being continued for the benefit of the poor and needy people, mostly of this locality :
- The students of our non-formal primary school ‘Gadadhar Sishu Vikas Kendra’ (from Pre-Nursery to Class IV std.) are provided all types of free academic, health care and value education support. The mothers of the students are also given health care and moral support for proper upbringing of their children. (presently 420 nos. kids are enrolled).
- Scholarship for Advanced Studies - About 58 poor needy students are being provided with monthly financial support for tuition fees, purchasing of books and meeting other study-related expenses.
- Sister Nivedita Swasthya Seva Kendra: Daily about 150 nos. patients are being provided free treatments with medicines by a team of qualified doctors. Free Eye checkup and Cataract Operation facilities are also arranged for the poor patients in collaboration with some reputable Eye-hospitals of Kolkata.
- Pecuniary Help to the poor, helpless elderly persons: Presently 52 old and distressed persons are given monthly pension
- Relief Activities: Distribution of Puja and Winter garments, daily distribution of Milk and Bread to 150 nos. poor kids and elderly persons etc. are going on.
- Village Welfare: We have made significant co-operation in the village welfare activities of Hijaldiha Vivekananda Seva Samity, Vill. Hijaldiha, Dist. Bankura and Borjora Sri Ramakrishna Vivekananda Bhava Prachar Sangha, Vill. Borjora, Dist. Bankura. Apart from monetary contribution to Hijaldiha Vivekananda Seva Samity, we have paid monthly stipends to a number of poor and meritorious students of their school. We have also sent them puja garments and warm blankets for distribution among the poor villagers. Again, we have helped the computer centre for poor villagers run by the Borjora Sri Ramakrishna Vivekananda Bhava Prachar Sangha with some sets of computers and accessories.
- Religious discourses on a regular basis, daily puja and celebration of Birthday Tithi Pujas of Sri Sri Ramakrishna Deva, Sri Sri Ma Sarada Devi and Swami Vivekananda and others, Durgastami Puja, Kali Puja, Sodoshi Puja etc.
To know more about our welfare activities, kindly click on the following for details according to your choice :
- Sponsor A Child
- Programme on Scholarship to the poor and needy students for higher studies
- Medical and Health Care Programme
- Construction of New Building for Educational, Medical Units and Sadhu Nivas
- Daily Free Milk Feeding Programme
- Monthly Pecuniary Help for the old and crippled